One of Canada’s great waterways, the Missinaibi flows North, uninterrupted for 350 miles to James Bay. We begin our adventure at the Brunswick Bridge, a couple of days upstream of the town of Mattice, the halfway point on the river. Together we will explore the lower Missinaibi, playing and practising our whitewater skills in Class II and Class III rapids as we slowly make our way to Thunderhouse Falls. The campsite at Thunderhouse is spectacular, perched 150 feet above the canyon, here, time is spent marveling in the natural beauty of Thunderhouse, swimming and fishing. Below the falls, the river drops 300 feet in a single day, as the Missinaibi plummets off the Canadian Shield and on to the Hudson’s Bay Lowlands.
From here it is a downstream paddle to the town of Moosonee and the historic Cree settlement of Moose Factory on the James Bay coast. After exploring these native frontier villages we return to Cochrane aboard the famous Polar Bear Express Train. This adventure combines the unique natural history of the James Bay Lowlands with the colourful cultural and human history of the aboriginal and early European inhabitants.Who’s this trip for?
Intermediate skill. Some previous canoeing as well as wilderness camping experience and competence. Moderate activity level, 7-9 hours of physical activity per day.
Register / Request more information! »
Friendships, old and new...
At the top of my list of things to celebrate this year was our magical escape to the beautiful Missinaibi & the joys of great friendships, old and new.
Trip Includes »
- Transportation to Brunswick from hotel
- All meals & Group Equipment
- Professional Guides and All Safety Equipment
- Tents & Thermarests (if needed)
- Interior Camping Permits
- Final night at 5 star Eco Lodge on Moose Factory Island
- Polar Bear Express Train
Not Included »
- Hotel accommodation the night before or after the trip (we can arrange this)
- Airport Pick Up / Drop Off (Timmins, ON) Add: $75 + HST
- Single Supplement (hotel & tent) Add: $280 + HST
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Guide Gratuities