One of Canada’s great waterways, the Missinaibi flows North, uninterrupted for 350 miles to James Bay. We begin our adventure on a secluded bush road we’ve nicknamed Brunswick Bridge, a couple of days upstream of the town of Mattice, the halfway point on the river. Together we will explore the lower Missinaibi, playing and practising our whitewater skills in Class II and Class III rapids as we make our way to Thunderhouse Falls. The campsite at Thunderhouse is spectacular, perched 150 feet above the canyon, here time is spent marveling in the natural beauty of Thunderhouse, swimming, and fishing. Below the falls, the river drops 300 feet in a single day as the Missinaibi plummets off the Canadian Shield and on to the Hudson’s Bay Lowlands.
From here it is a downstream paddle to the town of Moosonee and the historic Cree settlement of Moose Factory on the James Bay coast. After exploring these native frontier villages we return to Cochrane aboard the famous Polar Bear Express Train. This adventure combines the unique natural history of the James Bay Lowlands with the colourful cultural and human history of the aboriginal and early European inhabitants.
Although the pace is relaxed enough to allow for whitewater instruction and plenty of relaxation time, this trip does require an intermediate level of general fitness with a few longer days on the water. Truly, one of the best ways to experience one of the world’s great heritage rivers!
Upcoming Adventure Dates...
|23rd July 2021||9th August 2021|
I just want to say that MHO Adventures is a top-notch company in every aspect and I hop that I can send more people your way in the future. Cheers!
Trip Includes »
- Transportation to Brunswick from hotel
- All meals & Group Equipment
- Professional Guides and All Safety Equipment
- Tents & Thermarests (if needed)
- Interior Camping Permits
- Final night at 5 star Eco Lodge on Moose Factory Island
- Polar Bear Express Train
Not Included »
- Hotel accommodation the night before or after the trip (we can arrange this)
- Airport Pick Up / Drop Off (Timmins, ON) Add: $75 + HST
- Single Supplement (hotel & tent) Add: $280 + HST
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Guide Gratuities