One of Canada’s great waterways, the Missinaibi flows North, uninterrupted for 350 miles to James Bay. We begin our adventure at the Brunswick Bridge, a couple of days upstream of the town of Mattice, the halfway point on the river. Together we will explore the first 50 miles of the lower Missinaibi, playing and practising our whitewater skills in Class II and Class III rapids as we slowly make our way to Thunderhouse Falls. The campsite at Thunderhouse is spectacular, perched 150 feet above the canyon, here, time is spent marveling in the natural beauty of Thunderhouse, swimming and fishing. Below the falls, the river drops 300 feet in a single day, as the Missinaibi plummets off the Canadian Shield and on to the Hudson’s Bay Lowlands. Our final night together is spent at Bull Moose Bay, camped beneath the towering clay banks of the Lowlands.
Who’s this trip for?
Intermediate skill. Some previous canoeing as well as wilderness camping experience and competence. Moderate activity level, 7-9 hours of physical activity per day.
Upcoming Adventure Dates...
Just wanted to thank you again for an amazing trip. I speak for all of us when we say we had the time of our lives on the Missinaibi. Our MHO guides are responsible for this. Not only were they great guides in every sense of the word, but they were first class chefs, amazing teachers, and tons of fun to be around. Every one of us has said how much we miss them since finishing the trip.
Trip Includes »
- Transportation to Brunswick from hotel
- Float Plane from the River
- Shuttle back to vehicle
- All meals & Group Equipment
- Professional Guides and All Safety Equipment
- Tents & Thermarests (if needed)
- Interior Camping Permits
Not Included »
- Hotel Accomidates the night before or after the trip (we can arrange this)
- Airport Pick Up / Drop Off (Timmins, ON) Add: $75 + HST
- Single Supplement (tent) Add: $50 + HST
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Guide Gratuities