Together we will travel 145kms over 9 days, playing and practising our whitewater skills in Class I to Class III rapids as we make our way to Bull Moose Bay. We begin our adventure on this middle section of the Missinaibi River at a secluded bush road access point referred to as ‘Camp 95’. Located a couple of days upstream of the town of Mattice, the halfway point on the river.
The campsites on this section of river are absolutely spectacular, most being beside rapids and falls; one even looks and feels like we are on a beach in the Caribbean! We should reach Thunderhouse Falls (referred to by some clients as the 8th wonder of the world) on day 6 or 7. This spectacular campsite is perched 150 feet above the canyon, where time is spent marveling at the natural beauty of Thunderhouse, swimming, eating and fishing. Below the falls, the river drops 300 feet in a single day, as the Missinaibi plummets off the Canadian Shield and on to the Hudson’s Bay Lowlands. Our final night together is spent at Bull Moose Bay, camped beneath the towering clay banks of the Lowlands. In the morning the float plane will arrive, bringing in our Journey to the Northern Sky paddlers to start their adventure and those of us on the stand alone Thunderhouse falls trip will say our goodbyes to other paddlers and the river for now.
Although the pace is relaxed enough to allow for whitewater instruction and social time in camp, this trip does require a level of general fitness with longer days on the water and 7 portages around stunning falls and canyons. This is the most challenging (and therefore rewarding) of the 3 sections of the Missinaibi River.
We acknowledge that the Missinaibi River is located on the traditional territories of the Cree, Moose Cree and Anishinabek Nations and recognized under the James Bay Treaty No.9. We recognize that we are visitors to this land
Upcoming Adventure Dates
|Jul 17, 2023 - Jul 26, 2023||Register Now|
- Hotel Accommodations for the first night in hotel (double occupancy)
- Transportation to put in from hotel on Day 2
- All meals (from Dinner Day 1 – Lunch Day 10)
- Group equipment
- Canoes, paddles, PFD’s and helmets
- Professional guides
- All safety equipment (SAT phone, first aid kits, rescue kits)
- Tents & Thermarests
- Interior camping permits
- Float plane from the river
- Shuttle back to vehicles at the end of the trip
- Parking for duration of trip
- Airport Pick Up / Drop Off (Timmins, ON) Add: $75 + HST
- Single Supplement $150 (hotel & tent)
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Guide Gratuities