The Bloodvein River finds its headwaters in Red Lake, Western Ontario and flows west 340km over the Precambrian Shield along beautiful gorges, small lakes, and calm marshes into Lake Winnipeg. Flowing from Ontario into Manitoba, through Woodland Caribou Provincial Park and Atikaki Provincial Park, MB, the Bloodvein has the unique distinction of being one of Canada’s only Heritage Rivers located in 2 provinces.
We start our trip with a restful night at a Bed and Breakfast in the small town of Bissett, MB before boarding a float plane to fly into Artery Lake. From here we spend the next 12 days paddling 225km of amazing class 1-3 rapids. The Bloodvein River is a great whitewater canoe trip not just because of the opportunity to paddle and play in rapids, but also because of the history and landscape. We will view ancient pictographs from the Anishinaabe communities that have travelled the river for thousands of years, portage around waterfalls and paddle through fast flowing gorges created by some of the oldest rocks in the world. We will enjoy camping in the forest but also out on rock ledges with pristine views in all directions. In camp you’ll have time for fishing, relaxing, enjoying gourmet food by the fire, and pondering about how remote you are in Boreal Forest.
The Bloodvein River is a great adventure for those that want to dive deep into the Canadian wilderness and who have whitewater paddling experience.
We acknowledge that the Bloodvein River flows through the traditional territories of Michif Piyii (Metis) and Anishinabek Nations and is recognized under Treaty 3 and Treaty 5. We recognize that we are visitors to this land.
Upcoming Adventure Dates
- Airport or Train Station Pick Up / Drop Off (Winnipeg, MB)
- Transportation to Bissett (Day 1) & from Bloodvein Village (Day 13)
- All meals (from Dinner Day 1 – Lunch Day 13)
- Group equipment
- Canoes, paddles, PFD’s and helmets
- Professional guides
- All safety equipment (SAT phone, first aid kits, rescue kits)
- Tents & Thermarests
- Interior camping permits
- Accommodations and dinner at a local BnB in Bissett on Day 1
- Charter flight to Artery Lake on Day 2
- Transportation of guides, canoes and gear to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Guide Gratuities