Our Lower Missinaibi River Expedition is the perfect package for those looking for a Northern wilderness adventure, without the rigours of portaging. We begin our trip with a flight over Thunderhouse Falls, and land on the Missinaibi River, 64km north of the last road, and below the last portage. From here it is a downstream paddle where we will explore gypsum caves, search for fossils, wander around shorelines, paddle through fun swifts, camp on gravel bars, and create wonderful memories with family and friends. If we are lucky we may even get a chance to watch the northern lights dance through the night sky. Half way through the trip we often camp at the mouth of the Abitibi and Moose at Wayne’s place. Wayne is a local to the town of Moosonee and a close friend of MHO. He holds a wealth of knowledge of the area and if he happens to be home when we pass by, we will stop and visit with him. If our paths do not cross, it’s a beautiful place to stay and explore regardless.
We end our trip in the town of Moose Factory, home to the Moose Cree people and one of the many towns around James Bay that were part of the fur trade and colonisation of Canada. Our friends here will show us around and introduce us to some of the local culture, and perhaps take a motor boat trip out to Ship Sands Island at the mouth of James Bay. Finally we will paddle over to the town of Moosonee, and board the Polar Bear Express for our journey home.
This adventure combines the unique natural history of the James Bay Lowlands – a significant northern estuary – with the colourful cultural and human history of the indigenous people and early European inhabitants.
We acknowledge that the Missinaibi and Moose Rivers flow through the traditional territories of the Cree and Moose Cree Nations and are recognized under the James Bay Treaty No.9, and that we are visitors to this land.
Upcoming Adventure Dates
|Jul 25, 2023 - Aug 04, 2023||Register Now|
- Hotel Accommodations for the first & last nights (double occupancy)
- Transportation to Hearst Air Base from hotel on Day 2
- Float plane to the river
- All meals (from Dinner Day 1 – Dinner Day 11)
- Group equipment
- Canoes, Paddles, PFD’s
- Professional guides
- All safety equipment (SAT phone, first aid kits, rescue kits)
- Tents & Thermarests
- Interior camping permits
- Final night at Tidewater PP
- Cultural Programs with local guides in Moosonee / Moose Factory
- Polar Bear Express train tickets
- Parking for duration of trip
- Airport Pick Up / Drop Off (Timmins, ON) Add: $75 + HST
- Single Supplement $155 (hotels and tent)
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Accommodations the night after the trip (after getting off the train in Cochrane)
- Guide Gratuities