Our Lower Missinaibi River Expedition is the perfect package for those looking for a Northern Wilderness adventure, without the rigors of portaging. In fact, some days we may rig a sail and enjoy the luxury of a summer tailwind as we sail towards James Bay- the largest estuary in the world! We begin our trip with a flight over Thunderhouse Falls, and land on the Missinaibi River, 40 miles north of the last road, and the last portage.
From here it is a downstream paddle to the town of Moosonee and the historic Cree settlement of Moose Factory on the James Bay coast. After exploring these native frontier villages we return to Cochrane aboard the famous Polar Bear Express Train. This adventure combines the unique natural history of the James Bay Lowlands with the colourful cultural and human history of the aboriginal and early European inhabitants.
Upcoming Adventure Dates...
|30th July 2019||8th August 2019||We have planned these dates so that we will end our river trip in Moose Factory during the Gathering of Our People festival.|
Passionate about the Wilderness
Both guides were very passionate about the wilderness and about making the trip enjoyable for all of us. They were clearly knowledgeable about all aspects of the trip and executed everything to a tee...the leadership, the training of the clients, attention to safety measure, food preparation and respect for and care of the environment.
Trip Includes »
- Transportation to Hearst Air Base from Cochrane
- Float Plane to the river
- All meals & Group Equipment
- Professional Guides and All Safety Equipment
- Tents & Thermarests (if needed)
- Interior Camping Permits
- Final night accommodations on Moose Factory Island
- Polar Bear Express Train Tickets
Not Included »
- Airport Pick Up / Drop Off (Timmins, ON) Add: $75 + HST
- Single Supplement (Moose Factory & tent) $250
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Accommodations on the night before & after the trip (we can arrange this)
- Guide Gratuities