Our Lower Missinaibi River Expedition is the perfect package for those looking for a Northern wilderness adventure, without the rigours of portaging. We begin our trip with a flight over Thunderhouse Falls, and land on the Missinaibi River, 64km north of the last road, and below the last portage. From here it is a downstream paddle where we will explore gypsum caves, search for fossils, wander around shorelines, paddle through fun swifts, camp on gravel bars, and create wonderful memories with family and friends. If we are lucky we may even get a chance to watch the northern lights dance through the night sky. Half way through the trip we often camp at the mouth of the Abitibi and Moose at Wayne’s place. Wayne is a local to the town of Moosonee and a close friend of MHO. He holds a wealth of knowledge of the area and if he happens to be home when we pass by, we will stop and visit with him. If our paths do not cross, it’s a beautiful place to stay and explore regardless.
This year we have an amazing opportunity as we paddle into Moose Factory at the end of our trip. We arrive just in time for the Gathering of our People celebration which, this year, is a part of a larger year long celebration of their “More than 350” anniversary. We will have the chance to help with the cooking and serving of the Traditional Feast, along with participating in the canoe brigade, enjoy live music, and so much more! Join us for this once in a lifetime cultural experience.
This adventure combines the unique natural history of the James Bay Lowlands – a significant northern estuary – with the colourful cultural and human history of the indigenous people and early European inhabitants.
We acknowledge that the Missinaibi and Moose Rivers flow through the traditional territories of the Cree and Moose Cree Nations and are recognized under the James Bay Treaty No.9, and that we are visitors to this land.
Upcoming Adventure Dates
|Jul 11, 2024 - Jul 21, 2024
- Bed and Breakfast accommodations for the first night (double occupancy)
- Transportation to Hearst Air Base from hotel on Day 2
- Float plane to the river
- All meals (from Dinner Day 1 – Dinner Day 11)
- Group equipment
- Canoes, Paddles, PFD’s
- Professional guides
- All safety equipment (SAT phone, first aid kits, rescue kits)
- Tents & Thermarests
- 60L waterproof barrel for personal gear
- Interior camping permits
- Final night at Tidewater PP
- Cultural Programs with local guides in Moosonee / Moose Factory
- Polar Bear Express train tickets
- Parking for duration of trip
- Airport Pick Up / Drop Off (Timmins, ON) Add: $75 + HST
- Single Supplement $200
- Transportation to and from the trip rendez-vous point
- Accommodations the night after the trip (after getting off the train in Cochrane)
- Guide gratuities
- Sleeping bag *available to rent