With a great expedition menu, comes training, experience and knowledge in order to pack and prepare. MHO Adventures will be offering a 2-day Expedition Food Training program, during which time we will share all of our knowledge and learnings over the past 3+ decades of practice.
During the various workshops over the 2-day course, we will strive to provide you with knowledge and insight into expedition food planning. Our goal is that each participant gains the skills and tools to start or enhance your tripping food program.
Our Mission – Food Service
Realizing that food is one of the most important components of backcountry trips, we serve gourmet meals in the wilderness, and pride ourselves on:
- In-house dehydrated meals
- Fresh, healthy, hearty and tasty ingredients
- Providing proper nutrition each day
- Focusing on health, safety & enjoyment of the wilderness
Being able to prepare nutritious, appetizing meals allows everyone to keep pace with the physical and mental challenges of wilderness expeditions. Many people think about freeze dried single portion meals when they think of camping food. Let us assure you that at MHO Adventures, this is not the case! We pride ourselves on serving top quality food to our clients.
- Learn about menu planning; how to create a balanced diet in the backcountry and how to budget for it; different menus for different seasons
- Create trip menus for various lengths of time, keeping weight in mind
- Front country vs. backcountry; river vs. lake trips
- Participate in backcountry cooking and baking workshops
- Learn various techniques and experiment with equipment
- Cooking well on fires and different stoves
- What is in our cook kit
- Dehydrating and properly rehydrating various foods
- How to package and how to pack food for various lengths of trips
- Waste management and minimizing waste
- Ideas for dealing with special diets and dietary restrictions – products we have come to know and love
This course alone is a great product, however, the real value is that we are going to be sharing ALL of our documents related to Expedition Food. These resources have been created over the past 8+ years and are revisited, updated and improved annually. Until now they have only been used in house.
OPTIONAL ADD ON $400
The MHO Expedition Food Resource Package includes:
- MHO meal database (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Appetizer and Dessert ideas with full ingredient list for each)
- Portions document (includes per person portion for every single ingredient used in our meal database)
- Sample menus and templates (ranging in length from 3 to 32 days)
- List of food suppliers (where to buy what, contact info, etc)
- List of where to source various cook kit items
- MHO Adventures Thunderhouse Cookbook – 4th Edition (coming spring 2022)
- And more
*This Resource Package is ONLY available to course participants and not available for purchase separately
Food & Lodging
Camping is available onsite for $15/night
Lunch is included in the price of the training as we will be making lunches through our backcountry baking and cooking workshops.
A meal plan which includes two breakfasts and one dinner is available for $65
Upcoming Training Dates
|May 04, 2022 - May 05, 2022||Register Now|